Beautifully engraved specimen from the Cities Service Power & Light Company
. This historic document was printed by the Security Banknote Company in the 1920's and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of allegorical men and women.
CITGO started out known the Cities Service Company in the early 1900s, the company was recognized for its hard work and successful projects. In 1931, the company completed the country's first long-distance, high-pressure natural gas transportation system. The famous "Big Inch" project was a 24-inch pipeline that stretched 1,000 miles from Amarillo, Texas, to Chicago.
From the "Big Inch," Cities Service Company developed into a fully diversified oil and gas company with operations worldwide.
In 1965, Cities Service Company changed its marketing brand to CITGO. In the 1990s, CITGO was purchased by Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA), the national oil company of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. CITGO is based in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and continues to be a leading refiner, transporter and marketer of transportation fuels, lubricants, petrochemicals, refined waxes, asphalt and other industrial products. Servicing cities to serving the world, all in less than 100 years.