Beautiful unissued rare stock certificate from the The Cora-Cola Bottling Company
. This historic document was printed by GOES and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the capitol.
Moody's Industrial Manual - 1931
History of Coca Cola
In 1886 Dr. John Stith Pemberton first introduces Coca-Cola in Atlanta, Georgia. The pharmacist concocted a caramel-colored syrup in a three-legged brass kettle in his backyard. He first "distributes" Coca-Cola by carrying it in a jug down the street to Jacobs' Pharmacy. For five cents, consumers can enjoy a glass of Coca-Cola at the soda fountain. This year, sales of Coca-Cola average nine drinks per day.
In 1891 Atlanta entrepreneur Asa G. Candler acquires complete ownership of the Coca-Cola business for $2,300. Within four years, his merchandising flair helps expand consumption of Coca-Cola to every part of the nation. By 1914, Candler had acquired a fortune of some $50 million. Baseball hall of famer Ty Cobb, a Georgia native, was another early investor in the company.
In 1893 The trademark "Coca-Cola" name and script are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Dr. Pemberton's partner and bookkeeper, Frank M. Robinson, suggested the name and penned "Coca-Cola" in the unique flowing script that is famous worldwide today. Mr. Robinson thought "the two C's would look well in advertising."
Coca-Cola" was first sold for 5˘ a glass as a soda fountain drink at Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia.
In 1894, Joseph A. Biedenharn, owner of the Biedenharn Candy Company in Vicksburg, Mississippi, first bottled "Coca Cola."
By 1903, the use of cocaine was controversial and "Coca-Cola" decided to use only "spent coca leaves." It also stopped advertising "Coca-Cola" as a cure for headaches and other ills.
In 1929, after his death, Griggs Candler's family sold the interest in "Coca-Cola" to a group of businessmen for $25 million. This certificate was a result of the sale.
The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company and is the leading producer and marketer of soft drinks. The Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Coca-Cola, diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers in nearly 2,000 countries enjoy The Coca-Cola Company's products at a rate of more than 1 billion servings each day.
In 1900, due to a disagreement over the best method to develop the bottling business, Coca-Cola Bottling Company divided its territory into two parts. Thomas retained ownership of Coca-Cola Bottling Company which conveyed to Whitehead and his new business associate, J.T. Lupton, all of the rights that Coca-Cola Bottling Company had under the 1899 contract to certain states in the newly divided territory. Whitehead and Lupton formed a Tennessee corporation originally named Dixie Coca-Cola Bottling Company, which later changed its name to The Coca-Cola Bottling Company.
In 1902, the Company granted the right to bottle Coca-Cola in Texas to Whitehead-Lupton, who in turn granted one-third of its interest in Texas and Oklahoma to E.D. Twinam. This right to Texas and Oklahoma held by Whitehead-Lupton and Twinam was then transferred to a new corporation which became known as The Coca-Cola Bottling Company (1903) ("1903 Company"). In 1916, the Company granted the exclusive right to bottle Coca-Cola in the six New England states to Monroe Bickart who formed the New England Coca-Cola Bottling Company ("New England").
These four companies — Thomas, Whitehead-Lupton, 1903 Company, and New England — became known as "parent bottlers."7 The parent bottlers did not actually bottle Coca-Cola themselves; rather, they contracted with other individuals and entities to bottle and sell Coca-Cola in exclusive specifically designated geographic territories. These bottlers became known as "actual" or "first-line" bottlers. The first-line bottlers often further divided their exclusive geographic territories amongst "sub-bottlers." The system that developed functioned as follows: The Company manufactured Bottler's Syrup which in turn was sold to the parent bottlers. The parents or sub-parents then resold the syrup to the actual bottlers at a higher price.8
Between 1899 and 1915 the contracts between the parent bottlers and the Company, which gave the parents the right to purchase Bottler's Syrup at a fixed price per gallon, may have been amended to adjust the price of Bottler's Syrup. In 1915, the contracts were amended to conform with changes of the Clayton Act. Dkt. 63, ¶ 26 Exh. F-1, F-2 (Second Affidavit of Emmet J. Bondurant). The parent bottlers modified their contracts with their first-line bottlers to reflect these changes. Id. at ¶ 28. These modifications were carried out through the use of standardized printed contracts. ("Bottler's Contracts").
In 1918, the Company was purchased by a banking syndicate and became a Delaware corporation, assuming the obligations to the parent bottlers. The new corporation entered into an agreement with the principal parent bottlers in December of 1919 to permit the Company to pass on cost increases of sugar in excess of nine cents per pound to the parent bottlers. Due to the high cost of sugar after World War I, the Company sought to enter into new contracts with the parents which would allow the Company to raise Bottler's Syrup prices at will. The parent bottlers rejected this proposal and the Company informed the parents that their contracts were terminable at will and gave notice of termination. In response, Whitehead-Lupton and Thomas instituted suits against the Company in this Court.