Beautifully engraved certificate from the Cracker Jack Company
issued in 1947. This historic document was printed by Southern Bank Note Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an allegorical woman sitting next to a winged wheel with a cornucopia of fruit at her feet. This item has the signatures of the Company's President and Secretary and is over 52 years old. Punched cancelled.
Frederick William Rueckheim started the business around 1871. He brought his brother, Louis, in as a partner and started the firm of F. W. Rueckheim & Bro.
In 1896, the first lot of Cracker Jack was produced. It was named by an enthusiastic sampler who remarked, "That's a Cracker Jack!"
H.G. Eckstein developed the "waxed sealed package" for freshness in 1899.
In 1902, the company was re-organized; Rueckheim Bros. & Eckstein.
Prizes were inserted in every box in 1912.
In 1914, a plant was opened in Brooklyn, NY.
Sailor Jack and his dog, Bingo, were added to boxes in 1918.
In 1922, the company was named The Cracker Jack Co.
In 1943 and 1944, the company was honored for its war effort.
Borden purchased the company in 1964.
Frito-Lay is now the owner of Cracker Jack.