Beautiful certificate from the Northern Railroad Company
printed in 1849. This historic document was printed by the Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Edson Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a steam locomotive. This item has the original signatures of the Company’s President, and Treasurer, and is over 162 years old.
The Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain Bailway Company was incorporated by special act passed May 14, 1845 (ch. 324), as The Northern Railroad Company, and name changed by special act passed April 13, 1855 (ch. 401), to Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain Railroad Company; reorganized January 6, 1858, under name of Ogdensburg Railroad Company, and transferred to Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain Railroad Company, incorporated June 18, 1864, pursuant to special act passed March 31, 1857 (ch. 199), as revised and amended by special act passed April 8, 1864 (ch. 142). This transfer was made under date of August 1, 1865, and in the name of The Northern Railroad Company, the original mortgagor.
Interchange of freight and passengers between Central Vermont railroad and Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain railroad at Rouses Point is regulated by special act passed June 29, 1882 (ch. 364), and power to lease or own and operate steamboats on St. Lawrrence river and upper lakes is conferred by special act passed May 12, 1884 (ch. 271).
By special act passed March 9, 1847 (ch. 25), The Northern Railroad Company was authorized to construct branches to connect with lines to be constructed in Canada East. Bennington and Rutland Railroad Company was incorporated under special act of Vermont approved November 5, 1845 (ch. 28), as Western Vermont Railroad Company, and reorganized August 1, 1865, under name of Bennington and Rutland Railroad Company; name changed to Bennington and Rutland Railway Company under articles of association dated August 8, 1877. Rutland Canadian Railroad Company was incorporated under charter approved by the legislature of Vermont November 4, 1898 (ch. 160.)