Beautiful certificate from the Ogden Mine Rail Road Company
issued in 1895. This historic document was printed by J. Haehnlen Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of a steam locomotive. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, George Richards and Treasurer and is over 114 years old. Minor tape repaid by seal. Upper right corner cut.
The Ogden Mine Railroad was chartered February 19, 1864; it was built by 1865 and in operation by the 1866 Canal season. The length of the railroad was about ten miles and it had many sidings that connected with local mines. Some of these mines were the Ogden (Edison) Mine in Sparta, Schofield, Dodge, Ford, and Weldon Mines in Jefferson. The railroad passed the villages of Weldon (originally Well-Done), Hurdtown (originally New Partners), Callaghan’s Island, Castle Rock and on to Nolan’s Point.
The organizers of this railroad were Ario Pardee, a Pennsylvania Coal and Lumber Magnate. George Richards, who was involved with the Glendon Iron Co. at Hurdtown and was President of the Ogden Mine Railroad for the entire time it, was an independent line.
The railroad regularly carried 50,000 to 60,000 tons of iron ore a year through the 1870’s. It also carried a little zinc ore; hauled up from the Sterling Hill Mines near Ogdensburg.
History from Wikipedia.