Rare early motorcycle stock certificate #67 from the Pierce Cycle Company - New York 1907
This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with an image of an eagle. This item has the signatures of the Company’s President, Percy P. Pierce and Secretary. This is the first time we have had this certificate for sale.
Old Ad shown for illustrative purposes
Pierce-Arrow was an American automobile manufacturer based in Buffalo, New York, which was active from 1901 to 1938. Although best known for its expensive luxury cars, Pierce-Arrow also manufactured commercial trucks, fire trucks, camp trailers, motorcycles, and bicycles.
The forerunner of Pierce-Arrow was established in 1865 as Heinz, Pierce and Munschauer. The company was best known for its household items, especially its delicate gilded birdcages. In 1872, George N. Pierce bought out the other two, switching the name to George N. Pierce Company and, in 1896, bicycles were added to the product range. A failed attempt to build a steam-powered car was made in 1900 under license from Overman but, by 1901 Pierce built its first single-cylinder two-speed, no-reverse Motorette with the engine licensed from de Dion. In 1904, a two-cylinder car, the Arrow was made.
In 1907, the Pierce Cycle Company was formed, separating the bicycle business from the automobile business. Percy Pierce, son of George Pierce, was the company's president. In 1909, the first Pierce motorcycle was introduced. At $325, the 4-cylinder motorcycle was a costly alternative to the other motorcycles of the time. A one-cylinder version was added in 1910. Production continued through 1913. The Pierce Cycle Company went bankrupt in 1914
Pierce Cycle Company - Motorcycle Illustrated, Volume 4 1909
THE Pierce Cycle Company, of Buffalo, N. Y., will have three of the Pierce four-cylinder, shaft drive machines at the New York Show at Madison Square Garden. One will be finished entirely in nickel, and the others in black and red. It is the Pierce Company's intention to give its dealers an option as to equipment. Any standard fittings will be furnished. On the show machines will be fitted Empire, M & W and G & J tires, and the saddles will be Mesinger, Troxel and Persons.
The main features of the Pierce are: Large tubing of 354 inch diameter, which is utilized as the receptacle for the gasoline and oil. The motor is a four cylinder, and one of its special features is the automatic force feed lubricating system by which oil is forced directly on all the bearings by means of the gear pump. No attention need be paid to the matter of oiling except about once every four hundred miles. The machine carries sufficient oil to last two thousand miles. The drive is by means of a compensating friction clutch, engaging gears and drive shaft. A New Departure coaster brake is supplemented with a band brake on the rear hub, so that the Pierce has two brakes. One of the strong features of the Pierce is that the engine can be taken out with a very few minutes' work.
History from Encyberpedia and
stock certificate research service)