Beautiful Rare uncancelled note certificate from the White Sulphur Springs Company
issued in 1857. This historic document has an ornate side-border. This item has the hand signed signatures of the Company’s President, A. F. Gifford and Secretary, R. H. Maury and is over 154 years old. 10 coupons attached on bottom.
Coupons attached to bottom of Note
The White Sulphur springs: the traditions, history, and social life of the ... By William Alexander MacCorkle
The property for the White Sulphur Springs Company was purchased for the sum of ten thousand dollars by Jeremiah Morton, Matthew F. Maury, Allan T. Caperton, R. H. Maury, Alexander K. Phillips, A. F. Gifford, James Hunter and J. Warren Slaughter. The purpose of this conveyance was to organize a joint stock company under the Act of March 1, 1854 the Legislature of Virginia, entitled, "An Act to Incorporate the White Sulphur Springs Company"; and on the same day these gentlemen and their wives conveyed the property to the White Sulphur Springs Company.
Greenbrier Resort Hotel White Sulphur Springs Company
The Greenbrier is a Mobil four star resort located in the town of White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. For most of its history it was owned by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. It is now a wholly owned subsidiary of CSX Corporation. Every U.S. president since Dwight Eisenhower has stayed at the resort's presidential suite.
A spring of sulphur water is at the center of the resort property. It issues forth below the green dome of the white-columned springhouse that has been the symbol of The Greenbrier for generations. Beginning in 1778, people came to "take the waters" to restore their health. For the first 125 years the resort was known by the name White Sulphur Springs.
In 1858, a hotel was built on the property. This original hotel, the Old White, was torn down in 1922, several years after the addition of the current building. In 1910, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway purchased the resort property, building additional amenities and the Greenbrier Hotel in 1913. During World War II, the Greenbrier served as an army hospital and as the relocation center for some of the Axis diplomats still within the United States. After the war ended, C&O bought back the property from the government and reopened the resort. The hotel was redecorated by Dorothy Draper and its reopening was a social event of the season. In recent history, the resort has hosted several presidents and vice-presidents, foreign dignataries, and the Iranian Hostage Crisis hostages.
In the late 1950s the U.S. government approached The Greenbrier for assistance in the creation of an emergency relocation center to house Congress in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust. The classified, underground facility was built in conjunction with an above ground addition to the hotel, the West Virginia Wing, between 1959 and 1962. For thirty years the owners of The Greenbrier maintained an agreement with the federal government that, in the case of an international crisis, the entire resort property would be conveyed to government use, specifically as the emergency location of the legislative branch. The underground facility contained a dormitory, kitchen, hospital and even a broadcast center for members of Congress. The broadcast center had backdrops to make it appear members of Congress were actually broadcasting from Washington, D.C., by changing the backdrop for each season-- a 100-foot radio tower was installed some miles away for these broadcasts. The convention center, which was used by the Greenbrier guests for business meetings, was actually a disguised workstation area for members of Congress complete with hidden, 50-ton blast doors. The walls of the bunker were made of reinforced concrete designed to withstand a nuclear blast in Washington, D.C.
The center was maintained by workers who were purportedly hotel audio visual employees and operated under a dummy company named Forsythe Associates. Many of these same workers are employed by the hotel today and for a time gave guided tours. The complex is still maintained today by the Greenbrier and the facility remains much like it was in 1992 when the secret was revealed. While almost all of the furnishings were removed following the decommissioning of the bunker, furnishings close to what would have been in it at the time have been placed back in to approximate what the bunker looked like while it was still in operation. Two of the original bunks in the dormitories remain, however.
AT&T provided phone service for both The Greenbrier Hotel and the Bunker. All calls placed from the bunker were routed through the hotel's switchboard to make it appear as if they originated from the hotel itself. The communications center in the bunker today contains representatives of three generations of telephone technology used.
Although the bunker was kept stocked with supplies for 30 years, it was never actually used as an emergency location, even during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The bunker's existence was not acknowledged until The Washington Post revealed it in a 1992 story; immediately after the Post story, the government decommissioned the bunker.
The facility has since been renovated and is also used as a data storage facility for the private sector. It is once again featured as an attraction in which visitors can tour the now declassified facilities.
This bit of trivia was the subject of a $1,000,000 question on the celebrity edition of the game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Although comedian Norm MacDonald was somewhat sure that he knew that Greenbrier was the resort that served as an emergency relocation center, he decided to walk away with $500,000.
CSX has been lobbying the West Virginia Legislature for years to allow casino gambling at The Greenbrier, arguing that gaming would dramatically increase occupancy of the resort during the winter off-season. Under the plan, the bunker would be converted into a high-end casino, and only registered guests would be allowed to gamble there. The legislature has passed legislation that would allow gambling at the resort if approved by Greenbrier County voters. In 2000, the voters of the county turned down this option.
The resort also has a significant place in golf history. Golf legend Sam Snead was the resort's official pro for many years. Also, in 1979, The Greenbrier was the site of the first Ryder Cup contested under the current format of United States against Europe. More recently, The Greenbrier hosted the 1994 Solheim Cup, the women's equivalent to the Ryder Cup. This made The Greenbrier the first of only two locations to have hosted both the Ryder and Solheim Cups; it would be joined in 1998 by Muirfield Village near Columbus, Ohio.
Research by OldCompany.com
stock certificate research service).
The main White Sulphur building, which includes the large brick building with the parlor and the great dining-room, was commenced by the White Sulphur Springs Company in 1854 and finished in 1858. The great dining-room was then the largest room for the purpose in the United States, if not in the world.
Around the White Sulphur Springs drifted backward and forward the fierce fortunes of the war. It was the debatable land between Virginia and the Ohio border, and was the scene of many wild forays, fierce battles, gallant advances and sad retreats. It was on the line of the entrance into the Valley of Virginia from the west, and the White Sulphur building and the cottages were used for different purposes by both the Confederate and Union forces.
The great reception-room in the main building was used as headquarters by both sides. Generals McCausland, Floyd, Wise, Pegram, Colonel Patton, General Heth, General Averell, and General Hunter, each in turn occupied it for that purpose. It was in the midst of the fierce battle of Dry Creek, which, as a matter of fact, should be named the Battle of White Sulphur. It was used, too, as a hospital; and the dead from the battle-field were brought to the old building, and its broad corridors held many still forms wrapped in the blue and the gray, while its quiet rooms echoed with the groans of the wounded. Before its doors, where all now is peace and quiet, was seen the glint of the musket and heard the rumble of artillery, and in hot haste, in advance and retreat,the old buildings witnessed the ebb and flow of the great conflict. It was part of the War.