Beautiful certificate #154 from the Corralitos Company
issued in 1922. This historic document was printed by the Franklin Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a sheep. This item has the signatures of the Company’s President, E. Townsend Irvin and Secretary, Charles I. Reeves and is over 87 years old. Issued to Edward Shearson, and signed by him twice on the back as Edward Shearson and E. Shearson.
Issued to Edward Shearson
Signed twice on back by Edward Shearson
The Corralitos Company operated mining and ranching interests in the northern part of the state of Chihuahua, Mexico, during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
EDWARD SHEARSON by The Tribune Association - 1904
EDWARD SHEARSON, banker and broker, is of Canadian origin. He is the son of William A. and Marion W. Shearson, and was born at Gait, in the province of Ontario, on
August 3, 1864. His father was a native of England, and for a
quarter of a century previous to 1885 was a leading member of
the Chicago Board of Trade. His mother was of English parentage, and was bom in Savannah, Georgia, His education
was acquired under private tutors and in schools at Gait, On-
tario, and Wheaton, Illinois.
At the age of seventeen years Mr. Shearson left school to
engage in business life. He first went to the far West and was
occupied for a time with stock-raising and farming. His tastes
inclined, however, more toward financial enterprises and railroad management, and accordingly in 1883 he returned to Chicago to seek opportunities in such lines.
Although he was at that time nineteen years old, he did not
disdain to begin at the bottom of the ladder. His first engage-
ment was as a mere office boy in the offices of the Accounting
Department of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. In
time he was promoted to be a bookkeeper, and to fill other places,
in the same office, and there remained in one capacity or another
mitil the end of 1886.
On January 1, 1887, Mr. Shearson went from Chicago to Mil-
waukee and l)ecame chief clerk of the Accounts Department of
the Wisconsin Central Railroad. He filled that place for just
a year, and then, on January 1, 1888, was appointed Auditor of
Disbursements of the same company.
On May 1, 1890, Mr. Shearson returned to Chicago, retaining the auditorship just mentioned, and becoming in addition
thereto auditor of the Chicago and Northern Pacific Railroad
and of the Chicago and Cahuuet Terminal Railroad. These
places he filled for a number of years, and he then retired from
railroad service to enter the business of steel manufacturing.
He began his work in the latter line on June 1, 1898, as au-
ditor and purchasing agent of the American Steel and Wire
Company of Illinois. On November 1 following he became
auditor and assistant treasurer of the Federal Steel Company,
and thus served until May 1, 1900. From that date until April
1, 1901, he was assistant to the president of the Federal Steel
Company, and then, until June 1, 1902, controller of the United
States Steel Corporation.
On the date last named Mr. Shearson resigned the controller-
ship of the Steel Corporation, in order to engage in the business
of banker and broker in New York City. He formed the
firm of Shearson, Hannnill & Co., and has since had a prosper-
Mr. Shearson is not married. He is a well-known member of
various social organizations, including the New York Yacht
Club, the Larchmont Yacht Club, the Indian Harbor Yacht
Club, the Lawyers' Club, the Richmond County Country Club,
the Apawamis Club, the Fairfield County Club, and the White
Oak Shooting and Fishing Club of Georgia.
History by OldCompany.com.