Beautifully engraved unissued $1000 Gold Bond from the Trustees of Columbia College (Columbia University)
Trustees of Columbia College printed in 1909. This historic document was printed by American Bank Note Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the college seal surronded by two women. This item is over 97 years old and has 50 coupons attached. This is the first time we have had this for sale.
Columbia University is a private university in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City and a member of the Ivy League. It was established in 1754 as King's College and is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States. During these early years, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Gouverneur Morris, and Robert Livingston studied at Columbia. In 1784, during the American Revolution, the original name King's College was changed to Columbia College in the spirit of the patriotic fervor of the time. In 1896, the name of the institution was changed to Columbia University in the City of New York in order to distinguish between the original undergraduate institution Columbia College from the university as a whole, which by this time was comprised of an undergraduate engineering school and graduate faculties in medicine, law, teaching, political science, philosophy, and pure science in addition to the original undergraduate Columbia College. Today, the university is still legally known as Columbia University in the City of New York, and is incorporated as The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York. Its undergraduate schools are Columbia College, the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), and the School of General Studies. The university is affiliated with Barnard College (an undergraduate liberal arts college for women and one of the Seven Sisters), Teachers College, Jewish Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary. Through affiliation agreements, it is the university which awards degrees to graduates of Barnard College and Teachers College. Columbia is the oldest institution of higher education in the state of New York. Founded and chartered in 1754, Columbia is the sixth-oldest such institution in the United States (by date of founding; fifth by date of chartering). Columbia has grown over time to comprise twenty schools and affiliated institutions. In the early 1750s, clergymen of Trinity Church (then Church of England, now Episcopal) in New York City became alarmed by the Presbyterian founding of Princeton University (then known as the College of New Jersey) . They established their own "rival" institution, King's College and elected as its first president Samuel Johnson. Classes began on July 17, 1754, with Johnson being the sole faculty member. A few months later, Great Britain's King George II officially granted a royal charter for the college on October 31, 1754. Controversy surrounded the founding of the new college in New York, as it was a thoroughly Anglican institution dominated by the influence of Crown officials in its governing body such as the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Crown Secretary for Plantations and Colonies. The fears of an Anglican episcopacy and Crown influence in America through King's College were confirmed by its vast wealth, far surpassing all other colonial colleges of the period. Until the American Revolution, King's College would remain a bastion of Loyalists. On the other hand, the College would produce the leading men of the Revolutionary generation. After the American Revolutionary War, King's College was renamed in 1784 to Columbia College, and Samuel Johnson's son, William Samuel Johnson, became its president. In 1896 it was renamed to Columbia University.  Park Place and Rockefeller Center In July 1754, Samuel Johnson held the first classes in a new school house adjoining Trinity Church, Wall Street, located on what is now lower Broadway in Manhattan. There were eight students in the class. In 1767 King's College established the first American medical school to grant the MD degree. The American Revolutionary War brought the growth of the College to a halt, forcing a suspension of instruction in 1776 that lasted for eight years. Among the earliest students and trustees of King's College were John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States; Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury; Gouverneur Morris, the author of the final draft of the United States Constitution; and Robert R. Livingston, a member of the five-man committee that drafted the Declaration of Independence. In 1784, the college reopened as Columbia College, reflecting the patriotic fervor which had inspired the nation's quest for independence. King's College Hall, 1770In 1849, the College moved from Park Place, near the present site of City Hall, to 49th Street and Madison Avenue, where it remained for the next fifty years. During the last half of the nineteenth century, Columbia rapidly assumed the shape of a modern university. Columbia Law School was founded in 1858, and the country's first mining school, a precursor of today's Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, was established in 1864. Barnard College for women became affiliated with Columbia in 1889; the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons came under the aegis of the University in 1891, followed by Teachers College in 1893. The Graduate Faculties in Political Science, Philosophy, and Pure Science awarded its first PhD in 1875..  Morningside Heights In 1896, the trustees officially authorized the use of yet another new name, Columbia University, and today the institution is officially known as "Columbia University in the City of New York." At the same time ,University president Seth Low moved the campus again from Rockefeller Center at 49th Street to its present location, a more spacious campus in the Morningside Heights area of Manhattan. The site was formerly the Bloomingdale Insane Asylum. One of the asylum's buildings, the warden's cottage (later known as East Hall and Buell Hall), is still standing today. View of Columbia University's Low Library Plaza, c 1900The building often depicted as emblematic of Columbia is the centerpiece of the Morningside Heights campus, the Low Library. Constructed in 1895, the building is still referred to as the "Low Library" although it has not functioned as a library since 1934. It currently houses the office of the President and some archival collections. Patterned on the Parthenon and Pantheon, it is surmounted by the largest all-granite dome in the United States. Library in 2005.Under the leadership of Low's successor, Nicholas Murray Butler, Columbia rapidly became the nation's major institution for research, setting the "multiversity" model that later universities would adopt. On the Morningside Heights campus, Columbia centralized on a single campus the College, the School of Law, the Graduate Faculties, the School of Mines (predecessor of the Engineering School), and the College of Physicians & Surgeons. Butler went on to serve as president of Columbia for over four decades and became a giant in American public life (as one-time vice presidential candidate and a Nobel Laureate). His introduction of "downtown" business practices in university administration led to innovations in internal reforms such as the centralization of academic affairs, the direct appointment of registrars, deans, provosts, and secretaries, as well as the formation of a professionalized university bureaucracy, unprecedented among American universities at the time. In 1893 the Columbia University Press was founded in order to "promote the study of economic, historical, literary, scientific and other subjects; and to promote and encourage the publication of literary works embodying original research in such subjects." Among its publications are The Columbia Encyclopedia, first published in 1935, and The Columbia Lippincott Gazetteer of the World, first published in 1952. In 1902, New York newspaper magnate Joseph Pulitzer donated a substantial sum to the University for the founding of a school to teach journalism. The result was the 1912 opening of the Graduate School of Journalism-- the only journalism school in the Ivy League. The school is the administrator of the Pulitzer Prize and the duPont-Columbia Award in broadcast journalism. Columbia Business School was added in the early 20th century. During the first half of the 20th Century Columbia and Harvard had the largest endowments in the country. By the late 1930s, a Columbia student could study with the likes of Jacques Barzun, Paul Lazarsfeld, Mark Van Doren, Lionel Trilling, and I. I. Rabi. The University's graduates during this time were equally accomplished - for example, two alumni of Columbia's Law School, Charles Evans Hughes and Harlan Fiske Stone (who also held the position of Law School dean), served successively as Chief Justices of the United States. In the '50s, Dwight Eisenhower served as Columbia's president before becoming the President of the United States. Research into the atom by faculty members John R. Dunning, I. I. Rabi, Enrico Fermi and Polykarp Kusch placed Columbia's Physics Department in the international spotlight in the 1940s after the first nuclear pile was built to start what would become the Manhattan Project. Following the end of World War II the School of International Affairs was founded in 1946. Focusing on developing diplomats and foreign affairs specialists the school began by offering the Master of International Affairs. To satisfy an increasing desire for skilled public service professionals at home and abroad, the School added the Master of Public Administration degree in 1977. In 1981 the School was renamed the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA). The School introduced an MPA in Environmental Science and Policy in 2001 and, in 2004, SIPA inaugurated its first doctoral program - the interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Sustainable Development. History from Wikipedia and Encyberpedia.
Gold Bonds On April 5, 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Presidential Executive Order 6102 which invoked his authority to make it unlawful to own or hold gold coins, gold bullion, or gold certificates. The export of Gold for purposes of payment was also outlawed, except under license from the Treasury. On January 30, 1934, the Gold Reserve Act became law which made the ownership of gold illegal except for coins of numismatic value. As a result of this law, Bonds were no longer allowed to be Payable in Gold.