Beautifully engraved certificate from the Jim Pascoe Iron Company
issued in 1881. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a mine and their seal. This item has the hand signed signatures of the Company’s President, Alfred Kidder, and Secretary, A.H. Cady, and is over 132 years old.
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER OF MINERAL STATISTICS OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN, FOR 1881.
THE JIM PASCOE IRON MINING COMPANY — (JUNE 1882)
This Company was organized in the fall of 1881. No recent discovery in the Marquette iron region has attracted so much attention as this still celebrated "find." It certainly gives promise of becoming a very large producer of medium quality hematite ore, averaging 60 % in metallic, 2 % silica, and 0.18 % phosphorus. The samples were taken along the vein the length of the property.
The mine is on the north side of the bluff, north of the Dalliba about half a mile, and has been pretty thoroughly explored so far as can be determined by test pits, etc. These extend east and west the length of the property, and by pits and cuts the width of the ore is shown to be, from the hanging slate wall to the jasper foot, 30 feet, and perhaps upwards. At the time of my visit they were working only one pit near the west line, where they have stripped the ledge, east and west, for a length of 200 feet, and have sunk below the top, for a stope, a lift, of 40 feet. The men are now stoping down the east and west ends of the sink, which is 40 feet high and 30 feet wide. The skip road goes down from the north side, and a small engine to the north furnishes the present power for hoisting. About 100 tons daily are taken out, with very little cost, scarcely more expense than to mine a clay bank.
Other pits have been started further to the east. At all these points considerable preliminary work has been done. The machinery has been contracted for, two boilers, two engines, 12x13 inches, with hoisting gear, including 4 30-inch drums. It will be some time before the railroad is completed in to the mine. The line has been surveyed, and the road is building.
No skip roads have been made; the only one in use is a temporary affair in the pit, which is now working; possibly the matter is dropped, waiting for the railroad company to fix finally the line of the track, etc. The mine will possess great advantage in the matter of drainage, since the descent to the north is a hundred feet or more to the bottom of the valley, which, in itself descends to the west to the level of Lake Michigamme.
About 30 men are working for the company under the supervision of Capt. John Foley.
ALFRED KIDDER, agent of the Champion Mine, was born in Boston, Mass., August 16, 1840. He received his education there and upon reaching manhood came to Lake Superior and entered the office of the Jackson Iron Company as clerk and book-keeper; had charge of the office in Marquette; held the position two years and then spent one year in exploring lands. In 1864, he was appointed agent of the Lake Angeline Mine, and for the past eighteen years has held the position. In October, 1874, he was appointed agent of the Champion Mine, and in January, 1881, was appointed agent of the Milwaukee Mine. Mr. Kidder has been actively identified with mining and shipping ore for more than twenty years, and has a large practical experience. He opened the Sterling Mine in 1866. He opened the Edward's Mine and worked it until 1875, when the Lake Angeline Company sold it. He also opened the Dalliba Mines, and, together with Capt. Pascoe, of the Champion; organized the Jim Pascoe Iron Company, and Mr. Kidder is President of the company, and has been connected with other iron interests. In 1871, Mr. Kidder was united in marriage to Miss Kate Dalliba, a native of Chicago. They had two children—Homer Huntington and Howard White.