Beautifully engraved specimen certificate from the Longs Drug Stores, Inc.
printed in 1977. This historic document was printed by Security-Columbian, United States Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a Greek goddess with a modern-day chemistry set to her right and two globes showing two different sides of the earth to her left. This item has the printed signatures of the Company’s President, R. M. Long and Secretary, and is over 34 years old.
The Longs Drug Stores tradition of caring began in 1938 when brothers Joe and Tom Long opened the first Longs store and helped institute the idea of self-service in the retail drug industry. Low prices, excellent service, and a tradition of "treating others as we, ourselves, would like to be treated" brought quick success to Joe's and Tom's first store. They were able to open another store only 10 months later.
Longs Drug Stores, a recognized leader in the chain drug industry from virtually all standpoints, has grown steadily through the years. Longs has been publicly held since 1961 and traded on the New York Stock Exchange since 1971. They are one of the top 10 drug chains in the nation with over 400 stores in 6 western states: California, Hawaii, Nevada, Colorado, Washington and Oregon.
History from Wikipedia and
stock certificate research service).