Beautiful certificate from the Long and Derry Hill Mining Company issued in 1881. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of miners working underground. This item has the signatures of the Company's officers.
The Long and Derry Hill Mine was located on Mt Sherman at an elevation of 12,042 Feet on the opposite of Iowa Gulch. The Long and Derry group of mines was comprised of the Faint Hope, Dana, Porphyry, Platener, Stip, Triangle, Mary Jane and Mary Ann. It was among the first to make shipments of ore from the vicinity of where Leadville now stands. It was shipping a "fair amount of ore" c1882. 1883 production was expected to exceed that of previous years. The ore was found chiefly in limestone. (Ref: Burchard, 1882, p413; 1883, p497 - Internet Website) History from OldCompany.com and SavingsBonds.pro (collectible Savings Bonds website)