Beautifully engraved certificate from the Consolidated Electric Storage Company
issued in 1881. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of a cherub holding any electric light connect to power lines traveling on a winged wheel. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, William Bracken and Treasurer, Pedro G. Salom.
The Electrical Engineer: A Weekly Review of Theoretical and ..., Volume 9 - 1890
THE CONSOLIDATED ELECTRIC STORAGE COMPANY.
This company has just been organized for the purpose of manufacturing and selling storage batteries solely, with Mr. Wm. Bracken as president. The company owns the Julien storage battery patents—more especially that for the inoxidizable support plate—and the exclusive right to use for the whole of the United States all the Brush storage battery patents and inventions. Principal among these are the Brush patents, Nos. 337,298 and 337,299, covering the mechanical application of any absorptive substance to a conducting support; and the Brush patent, 266,090, which covers a support plate or a conducting support with receptacles for the active material ; in addition to these, also, the Brush patent No. 260,654, which covers the application of oxide of lead to the support plate by pressure. The new company also owns the mechanical filler patents of Morris and Salom, which cover the process and machine for filling the conducting support or grids with active matter. They are more especially capable of doing this when the active matter is applied in the form of a powder. The two first mentioned Brush patents run 13 years from May, 1889; the mechanical filler patents have about 16 years of life, and the Julien storage battery patent, No. 347,300, being for his inoxidizable support plate, has about 14 years to run.
The Julien Electric Traction Company has sold its cars and everything in relation to traction to the United Electric Traction Company, the latter company having bought not only all the traction interests of the Julien Electric Traction Company, but also all the Daft companies, including the Daft Electric Light Co., with its factory at Marion, N. J., the Daft Electric Power Co., with its three stations in New York, and the Daft Electric Power Co. of Newark, and the Daft Electric Power Co. of Philadelphia. The United Electric Traction Co. have also purchased the Chamberlain battery rack patent. The United Electric Traction Co. has acquired from the Julien Co's. such patents relating to the application of storage batteries to the propelling of street cars, as will enable that company to make storage battery traction a specialty, but according to Mr. Bracken, there is no understanding, oral or written, between The Consolidated Electric Storage Co. and The United Electric Traction Co. as to the sale of batteries to the Traction Co. or as to favoring them in any way over any others desiring batteries for traction.
It will be the policy of the Consolidated Electric Storage Co. to furnish batteries to everybody on equally favorable terms. As indicating the demand there is for storage batteries, Mr. Bracken states that their Camden factory sold last month 1,294 accumulators although they have not a single agent in the field soliciting orders.
. Pedro G. Salom was on of the co founders of one of the earliest known electric cars and of the first motor vehicle service in the United States as described below.
In 1894, Henry G. Morris and Pedro G. Salom of Philadelphia constructed an electric car, producing four more of these Electrobats in 1895. In 1897, Morris and Salom formed the Electric Carriage and Wagon Company, which ran twelve electric cabs on the streets of New York City under the name of the Electric Vehicle Company. This was the first motor vehicle service in the United States. The company's electric taxicabs were intended to compete with the horse-drawn cabs then in service on the streets of New York City. Morris and Salom's strategy was based upon the model of livery stables that leased horses and carriages by the trip, by the day, or even by the month.
The Electrobat was the first successful electric automobile. It was designed and built in 1894 by mechanical engineer Henry G. Morris and chemist Pedro G. Salom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Both had backgrounds in battery streetcars and, as the battery streetcar business was fading, they teamed up to make battery road vehicles. Their effort was patented on August 31, 1894. Built like a small version of a battery streetcar, it was a slow, heavy, impractical vehicle with steel tires to support the immense weight of its large lead battery. It entered production in 1895. In 1896, Morris and Salom founded the Morris & Salom Electric Carriage and Wagon Company, evidently the first electric car company in America.
Subsequent versions were lighter and had pneumatic tires, with bodies built at the Caffery Carriage Company in Camden, New Jersey. These cars steered by their rear wheels and had two 1.5-horsepower (1.1 kW) motors that propelled them 25 miles (40 km) per charge at 20 mph (32 km/h). Morris and Salom went on to build about a dozen Hansom cabs based on this vehicle, to compete with the horse-drawn cabs then in service in New York City; they operated in New York, Boston, and elsewhere. They sold the cabs and their concept to Isaac L. Rice, who reincorporated the enterprise as the Electric Vehicle Company (Elizabethport, New Jersey), in 1897, and later became part of Pope's empire.
Pedro G. Salom was also the first Treasurer of the American Electrochemical Society elected at its first meeting held at the MANUFACTURERS’ CLUB in Philadelphia on April 3, 1902 which was attended by 52 of the 337 charter members.
History from Encyberpedia, Wikipedia and
stock certificate research service)