Beautiful certificate from the Standard Oil Company of Kentucky
issued in 1928 or earlier. This historic document was printed by International Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an allegorical woman. Some signed of minor wear and has tight left margin. This item has the signatures of the Company's officers and is over 89 years old.
Standard Oil was declared a monopoly and broken up. Among the company assets that were divided up was the right to use the well-known 'Standard' brand name. Most of these "Baby Standards" kept using the popular "Red Crown" and "White Crown" gasoline brands, as well as "Polarine" Motor Oil. When the 'Ethyl' additive became popular, most Standards adopted it. Vacuum's "Mobiloil" products were commonly used by many Standards. Esso Motor Oil gained wide distribution. The former Standards banded together in 1930 to form the Atlas Corporation, maker of tires, batteries, and other automotive accessories (TBA) that were provided to Standard and Standard-related stations of all stripes from the Atlantic to the Pacific. As part of the Breakup, Standard Oil of Kentucky (Kyso) was awarded Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi.
History: Incorporated under Kentucky laws, October 8, 1886; amended articles of incorporation were filed at Louisville, September 26, 1911, continuing life of company for 999 years. Engaged in production and marketing of oil, etc. south of the Ohio River and east of the Mississippi. At organization purchased various plants and marketing stations of the Chess-Carley Co. throughout the Southern States, and in 1892 acquired the properties of the Consolidated Tank Line Co. The principal places of business and the main billing offices are located at Louisville, Ky.. Birmingham, Ala., Atlanta, Ga., Savannah, Ga., Jacksonville and Tampa, Fla., and Jackson, Miss. Oil fields are located in Kentucky. Owns a refinery at Louisville, Ky.; annual capacity, 500,000 barrels of gasoline. Jan. 1, 1930, acquired service stations, tank wagons, other equipment, etc. of Reed Oil Corp., Atlanta, Ga.
Management: OFFICERS: C. T. Collings, Chairman; S. W. Coons, Pres.; W. E. Smith, W. G. Violette, Vice-Pres.; A. K. Whitelaw, Vice-Pres.; Jos. C. Steidle, Sec. and Treas.; J. W. Bell, Asst. Sec.; T. Q. McGoodwin, Asst. Sec. and Asst. Treas.; H. L. Brunson, Aud. DIRECTORS: C. T. Collings, A. K. Whitelaw, J. C. Steidle, S. W. Coons, J. B. Brown, C. G. Middleton, W. E. Smith, J. W. Bell, W. G. Violette. ANNUAL MEETING: Third Thursday in March. HOME OFFICE: 426 W. Bloom Ave., Louisville, Ky.
History from OldCompanyResearch.com.