Beautiful certificate from the The Country Club of Salt Lake, Utah issued in 1920. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the club name. This item has the original signatures of the Company's President, Halloman and Secretary, B. Berrien and is over 92 years old.
The Country Club was organized on October 2, 1899. It was located on thirty acres of ground near 10th South and 11th East in Salt Lake City, Utah. The course consisted of nine holes with sand greens on all but the ninth hole. In 1906, The Country Club was relocated to what is now Forest Dale Golf Course on 900 East and approximately 2400 South. The clubhouse at that location still remains and the city has completely renovated that structure. The Country Club remained at that location until 1920 when it relocated to its present location at the mouth of Parley's Canyon. The golf course that was constructed in 1920 was designed by Willie Watson and Harold Lamb. Mr. Watson was a notable architect who also designed numerous championship golf courses including the Olympic Club, Interlachen,and Harding Park. Mr. Lamb was a local golf champion and was a member of The Country Club. The original Clubhouse at the current location was completed in July, 1923. Notable players that have played golf at The Country Club include two U.S. Presidents, Warren Harding and William Howard Taft, as well as Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Lloyd Mangrum, Frank Stranaham, Cary Middlecoff, Chick Evans, Clayton Heafner, Ed Oliver, Jimmy Demaret, George Von Elm, Ralph Guldahl, Ray Mangrum, Harold McSpaden, Tee Branca, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Tommy Armour, Al Espinosa, Olin Dutra, Harry Cooper, Babe Ruth, Horton Smith, Lawson Little, Bobby Locke, Jimmy Thompson, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Mark O' Meara, Tom Kite, Mike Weir, Mike Reid, Peter Jacobsen, Nancy Lopez and, of course, Johnny Miller. The Country Club has hosted many prestigious golf tournaments during its 100-plus years of operation including the 1947 Western Open. The Country Club has hosted the Utah State Amateur Championship 39 times including every year from 1899 to 1919. In 2000, The Country Club began an 18-month clubhouse renovation project that updated the building and restored the original clubhouse design. In 2006, The Country Club began an 18-month golf course renovation. The project encompassed new bunkers, teeing grounds, and greens. John Harbottle, the golf course architect, made other design changes that updated the course, created new challenges, but also preserved the history of the golf course design. History from Wikipedia and OldCompany.com (old stock certificate research service)