Beautifully engraved certificate from the Connecticut Railway and Lighting Company
in 1926. This historic document was printed by the American Bank Note Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of 2 allegorical women flanking a shield. This item is hand signed by the Company's Vice President and Treasurer and is
over 86 years old.
On December 19, 1906, the Connecticut Railway and Lighting Company,leased certain gas, electric and street railway properties for 999 years to the Consolidated Railway Company, predecessor of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company. By a subsequent assignment the New Haven was divested of everything except the transportation properties. On February 28, 1910, these were transferred to a wholly-owned subsidiary of the New Haven.
Greater Bridgeport Transit Authority
1864-1893 - Bridgeport Horse Railroad Co.
1893-1901 - Bridgeport Traction Co.
1901-1905 - Connecticut Railway & Lighting Co.
1905-1936 - Connecticut Co. (leased)
1936-1972 - Connecticut Railway & Lighting Co.
1937 - streetcars discontinued
History from OldCompany.com
stock certificate research service)