Beautiful engraved certificate from the Ansonia Clock Company
in the 1920's. This historic document was printed by the American Bank Note Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of a shield with American flags coming out behind it. This item is hand signed by the Company's President ( Russel A. Cowles ) and Secretary and is
at least 75 years old.
The Ansonia Clock Company was formed in 1851 by The Ansonia Brass Company.
Clock movements were mostly made of brass so it made sense for the two companies to operate together.
The home of the Ansonia Brass Company and the Ansonia Clock Company was Ansonia, Conn., a town named for the founder, Anson G. Phelps. The Clock Company was in operation at this location during the period of 1851 to 1878.
In 1878 the Ansonia Clock Company was moved to a factory in Brooklyn, N.Y.
The factory in Brooklyn was completely destroyed by fire in 1879. By 1880, however, the Company was back in business and continued to operate, without interruption, until 1930.
As a result of the stock market crash in 1929 and depression, many of the large clockmaking companies failed or were reorganized. The Ansonia Clock Company sold its assets to the Russian government, shipping its machinery and equipment overseas.