Beautiful certificate from the Franklin Coal Company of Lykens Valley
issued in 1865. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an eagle. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, Edward C. Bates and Treasurer.
The company operated the coal mines of Lykens Valley and Short Mountain, situated in the north-eastern part of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in north latitude 40░ 35', and 0░ 15' longitude east of Washington.
They were in the township of Wiconisco, and near the village of that name. The Lykens Valley Railroad extended from these mines to the place of discharge of the coal into canal boats at Millersburg, the distance being 16 miles. This same railroad connected with the Northern Central Railroad, which ran to Baltimore, and with Harrisburg and Philadelphia by way of the Reading Railroad. From Millersburg a canal also extended to Baltimore, and by it the coal is shipped to that market.
History from Wikipedia, Encyberpedia and
stock certificate research service)