Beautifully engraved certificate from the First National Bank of Seattle issued no later than 1889. This historic document was printed by A. Gast & Company of St. Louis and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a woman with an eagle with a train and farming scene in the background. This item has the signature of the Company’s President, George W. Harris.
The First National Bank of Seattle was chartered under the National Bank Act in 1882.
In 1928, it was controlled by the First National Corporation of Seattle Washington.
In 1929, the company merged with the First Seattle Dexter Horton National Bank and in 1931 adopted the original name First National Bank of Seattle.
In 1935, the company changed its name to Seattle-First National Bank.
In the 1970s, Seattle-First National Bank uses the marketing name Firstbank on signs, advertising and products such as the Firstbank card.
In 1974, Seattle-First National Bank established as a one-bank holding company; Seafirst name was first used.
In 1983, Seafirst Corp. was bought by BankAmerica Corp.
In 1999, Seafirst Bank changed its name to Bank of America
George W. Harris
George W. Harris was the first president of the bank and was also the founder of the George W. Harris & Company which was a private banking company. George W. Harris was also one of the founders of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in 1881 along with Thomas Prosch and Samuel L. Crawford and John Leary. George W. Harris was the stepson of Charles Plummer.
Territory of Washington
On March 2, 1853, U.S. President Millard Fillmore signed a bill creating the Territory of Washington out of the Territory of Oregon. The new territory’s boundaries are: north, 49 degree North Latitude; south, approximately due east from the mouth of the Columbia River; east, the Rocky Mountains; west, the Pacific Ocean. The eastern part of the territory would later become part of the states of Idaho and Montana.
On November 11, 1889, President Harrison issued a proclamation admitting Washington into the Union. The news reached Olympia by telegram sent from the office of Secretary of State James a. Blaine to Governor Elisha P. Ferry. Since the State Department wired "collect," the governor had to pay 61 cents to read, "The President signed the proclamation declaring Washington to be a state in the union at five o'clock and twenty seven minutes this afternoon."
WASHINGTON, DC / NEW YORK -
Scripophily.com / Old Company Stock and Bond Research Service
owns and operates the
Old Stock & Bond Research
Archives from Herzog & Co., Inc (formally RM Smythe research) which was acquired from John Herzog,
founder of the Museum of American Finance and past
Chairman of RM Smythe & Co.
included all RM Smythe Research archives, publishing rights and copyrights on
obsolete research reference material published by the Marvyn
Scudders Manuals, the Robert D. Fisher Manuals, and the Herzog &
Co., Inc. obsolete research services. The old stock research
services have been performed continuously since 1880.
Scripophily.com / Old
Company Research Service was founded by Internet Pioneer, Bob Kerstein,
CPA who is a member of the American Institute of
Certified Public Accountants, Chartered Global Management Accountants, California Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants. We have been collecting and selling old stock and bond certificates
since 1990. Scripophily.com started operating on the Internet in January
1996 with the goal to promote the history of old companies and help educate everyone about the wonderful hobby of collecting stock
and bond certificates called Scripophily.
We will always maintain our founding commitment to customer satisfaction and the delivery of an educational product with an enjoyable shopping experience. Please
let us know how we may be of service to you.
All Old Stock and Bond
Certificates are actual authentic certificates and are sold only as collectibles.
We do not sell reproductions and offer a lifetime guarantee to the
authenticity of everything we sell.