Beautifully engraved Check from the First National Bank of Marietta issued
in 1868.This item is
over 134 years old and was signed by Benjamin F. Hiestand, one of the banks founders.
A Historical Summary Beginning February 25, 1863
On February 25, 1863, several citizens of Marietta met in the local high school
to organize a national banking association under the recently passed Act of Congress entitled, "An Act to Provide a National Currency, Secured by a Pledge of United States Stocks, and to Provide for the Circulation and Redemption Thereof".
This association, known as "The First National Bank of Marietta", became the first nationally chartered bank in lancaster County, fifth in Pennsylvania, and was
granted national charter number 25. Nine shareholders purchased stock at $100.00 per share for a total initial capitalization of $60,000.00.
These nine shareholders, who also constituted the Board of Directors of the new bank, met again on June 3, 1863, to elect from among themselves officers:
John Hollinger, president; James Mehaffey, vice president; and Barr Spangler, secretary. John Haldeman, John Musser, Abraham H. Musselman, J. E. Kraybill, Benjamin F. Hiestand, and S. F. Eagle completed that first Board. A committee authorized "to find a competent cashier" hired Amos Bowman at a salary of $800.00 per annum.
The building at 100 West Market Street was constructed during the summer and fall of 1875, and the bank was relocated from the C. Stibgen property, where it had opened for business on August 20, 1863, to its new home in early 1876.
At its fiftieth anniversary in 1913, The First National Bank of Marietta boasted loans and discounts of $358,000.00 and total assets in excess of $600,000.00. It also boasted of fifty years' continuous service from one of its original directors, Barr Spangler. This remarkable nonagenarian, who had been so influential in the bank's founding, was still vitally active in the Marietta business community. Five years later, in 1918, he was elected president, a post he served faithfully until his death in 1922. He was succeeded on the Board by his grandson, J. Barr Spangler, who served as a director from 1922 to 1961, and as President from 1954 to 1960.
December 2, 1960, brought the merger of the Exchange National Bank of Marietta into The First National Bank of Marietta, resulting in combined assets totaling $2,640,000.00.
Needing more space for expanded operations, the bank in 1968 purchased the
two properties on the west side of the bank and embarked on a six-month renovation program. This eventually yielded additional teller windows and office space, as well as a modern drive-in facility and an expanded parking area to the rear of the building. The assets at the time of the Open House celebrating completion of the renovations in June 1969 were listed at $5,300,000.00.
Less than four years later, having grown to be a seven million dollar bank,
The First National Bank of Marietta was merged into Farmers First National Bank
a Lancaster County institution dedicated to providing the very best of modern banking services while maintaining a local-bank concern for the communities in which its offices are located.
One of the Board members at the time of the merger was Robert C. Spangler, son of J. Barr and great-grandson of Barr Spangler. He continues to serve as a member of the Marietta Regional Board, following in the tradition of his illustrious ancestors.
Farmers First Bank has completed yet another renovation project at the Marietta office. In keeping with community emphasis on historic restoration, the front lobby and vestibule have been returned as closely as possible to the way they looked one hundred years ago. Stenciling work in the manner of the late nineteenth century decorates the walls, and the original majestic front doors have been duplicated. To accommodate this evocation of times past, the teller stations have been removed to the 1969 addition.
Among the memorabilia maintained by the Marietta office are the original minute books and a 19th century Ball Vault on display in the front lobby. History is preserved while the bank continues to be progressive in its services.
We will always maintain our founding commitment to customer satisfaction and the delivery of an educational product with an enjoyable shopping experience. Please
let us know how we may be of service to you.
All Old Stock and Bond
Certificates are actual authentic certificates and are sold only as collectibles.
We do not sell reproductions and offer a lifetime guarantee to the
authenticity of everything we sell.