Beautiful certificate from the Reading Real Estate Exchange
issued in 1906. This historic document has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of some allegorical women. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, Herbert R. Green and Treasurer and is over 103 years old. The certificate was issued to Henry D. Green.
Herbert R. Green (23d J. D., Berks), born January 28, 1864; died December 23, 1921. Admitted to the Bar January 21, 1888.
Mr. Green belonged to a family of lawyers. His father, the late Albert G. Green, Esq., was for a long period a prominent member of the Berks County Bar, distinguished alike for his professional ability and public spirit. His uncle, Hon. David B. Green, was a law judge of the Courts of Schuylkill County, both before and after the adoption of the constitution of 1874.
Herbert R. Green was born in Reading on January 28, 1864; graduated at the Reading High School in 1880, and from Yale College with the class of 1885. He read law in his father's office, and was admitted to the Bar of Berks County on January 21, 1888.
He was associated with his brother, Hon. Henry D. Green, both professionally and in the conduct of the Reading Real Estate Exchange, a corporation organized by them and carried on successfully for many years. Having a strong inclination to journalism, be became editor and associate in the management of the Reading Telegram, a daily newspaper to which he devoted some ten years of congenial labor. In this field, he was recognized as a writer of marked ability and grace. His acquaintance with the best general literature was extensive and his style conformed to the most eminent models.
Herbert R. Green was one of the three founders of the Berkshire Country Club.
He was well grounded in the principles of the law, and his legal conclusions were thoroughly considered and forcibly expressed.
Personally, Mr. Green was of modest bearing and genial disposition, qualities which endeared him to a wide circle of appreciative friends.
History from the Historical Society of Berks County.