Beautiful certificate from the Bertha & Edith Gold Mining Company issued in 1878. This historic document was printed by Maverick & Wissinger and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a group of working miners. This item has the signatures of the Company's Vice President, Jno E. Newford and Secretary, J. W. Smith and is over 143 years old.
The Bertha and Edith Mine, incorporated in New York, was on the east side of the Big Bird Creek in Goochland County, Virginia three miles northeast of Columbia. Prior to the Civil War, placer gravels were worked, yielding a large quantity of gold. In 1877, the Bertha and Edith Mining Company bought the mineral rights and began development work on quartz veins. Some time later, a 20 stamp mill was erected to crush the ore and recover the ore.