Beautifully engraved certificate from the Calumet & Montana Consolidated Mining Company This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette an eagle on a globe and an embossed corporate seal. This item has the signatures of the Company's President and Secretary and is over 92 years old.
The company was originally organized as the Calumet & Montana Mining Co, in Calumet, Michigan. The company has property of six claims, about 120 acres, in the Copper Queen district located along the Montana-Idaho border. By 1910, the office had moved to Duluth, Minn., with a new set of directors and officers and the Mines Handbook (1910, p.c 539) states, "The standing of the stock has been injured by market rigging." The company reorganized in 1913 as the Calumet & Montana Consolidated Mining Company in South Dakota on a basis of a 10 for 1 stock exchange. "The company has been persistently boomed with wild statements in the newspapers and the reorganization is regarded unfavorably" according to the Mines Handbook. Mines Handbook, 1912, p.206-07