Beautifully engraved certificate from the Cincinnati and Springfield Railway Company issued in 1871. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a train and an imprinted revenue stamp. This item is hand signed by the Company's President and Secretary and is over 144 years old.
This company was incorporated September 9, 1870, and its road completed January 1, 1872, between Cincinnati and Dayton. Anticipating its completion, the line was leased by the Cleveland Columbus Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway Company January 24, 1871, lease effective January 1, 1872, running nine hundred and ninety-nine years. This lease conveyed to the Cleveland Columbus Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway Company, the line between Cincinnati and Dayton, including the lease to the Cincinnati and Springfield Railway Company of the use of part of the Baltimore and Ohio South Western Railroad Company's track between Cincinnati and Ludlow Grove, Ohio, under contract dated May 6, 1871. In Januarv 1913, this company was merged in and became a part of The Cleveland Cincinnati Chicago and St Louis Railway Company by conveyances pursuant to the statutes of Ohio. The capital stock of this company as authorized was 22,000 shares of the par value of $1,100,000.00, of which 18,332 shares, par value $916,600.00, were issued.