Beautiful membership certificate from the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and Merchants Exchange issued in 1882. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a man wearing a crown with a train and steambot on the sides. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, James. D. Parker and Secretary, Charles M. Murray and is over 126 years old. The certificate was issued to Thomas S. Stokes.
The Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and Merchants Exchange was organized on October 15, 1839. The organization represented the concentrated activity of the leading business men of the city in every department of trade and commerce. James D. Parker was the President of the MEMPHIS AND CINCINNATI PACKET COMPANY.