Beautifully engraved certificate from the Dubuque & Sioux City Rail Road Company issued in 1874. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a train passing by with a few buildings in the background. This item is hand signed by the Company's President and Secretary and is over 130 years old.
In 1867 the Illinois Central, which by then progressed beyond Galena and across the Mississippi to Dubuque, Iowa, leased the Dubuque & Sioux City Railroad, extending its western line to Iowa Falls. This line reached Sioux City in 1870.