Fitchburg Railroad Company - Boston, Massachusetts 1895
(You save $10.00 )
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available in Checkout
Beautiful certificate from the Fitchburg Railroad Company issued no later than 1895. This historic document has a border around it and is over 111 years old. It has been hand signed. The Fitchburg Railroad (AAR reporting mark FBRG) was a railroad across northern Massachusetts, USA, leading to and through the Hoosac Tunnel. The original line, from Boston to Fitchburg, is now the Fitchburg Line, a line of the MBTA Commuter Rail system. The Charlestown Branch Railroad was incorporated April 4, 1835 as a short branch from the Boston and Lowell Railroad to Sweet's Wharf in Charlestown, opening in January 1840. The Fitchburg Railroad was incorporated March 3, 1842 to run from Boston to Fitchburg, and bought land next to the Charlestown Branch in May 1843. Construction began on May 20 and the first section to Waltham opened on December 20, 1843, operated by the Charlestown Branch until May 1, 1844. Further sections opened to Concord June 17, 1844, Acton October 1, 1844, Shirley December 30, 1844 and Fitchburg March 5, 1845. The new track next to the Charlestown Branch opened in August 1844; the Fitchburg Railroad leased the Charlestown Branch itself on September 1, 1845, and outright bought the branch on January 31, 1846. In 1848 a new bridge opened, carrying the line from Charlestown to downtown Boston. The original Charlestown terminal was southwest of City Square, west of the Warren Bridge (42.370° N 71.063° W). The downtown Boston terminal was on the north side of Causeway Street between Haverhill Street and Beverly Street until the North Station union station opened in 1893. The Boston and Maine Railroad leased the Fitchburg for 99 years from July 1, 1900 as its Fitchburg Division. The two companies merged to form a new B&M December 1, 1919. The MBTA bought the line from Boston to Fitchburg, along with many other lines, from the B&M on December 27, 1976. Guilford Transportation took over the former B&M in June 1983. Passenger service ran only to Fitchburg after 1960. On January 18, 1965 service was cut back to West Concord, but was restored to Ayer on June 28, 1965. On March 1, 1975 it was cut back to South Acton, but was restored to Fitchburg and beyond to Gardner on January 13, 1980. Gardner service was ended on January 1, 1987 when Amtrak took over the MBTA contract, due to a dispute between Amtrak and Guilford; the MBTA only owned the trackage to Fitchburg. The Fitchburg Line west of the old Stony Brook Railroad, which now junctions east of the old Ayer Junction, now serves as part of Guilford's main line between Mattawamkeag, Maine and Mechanicville, New York. History from Wikipeida and OldCompanyResearch.com.