Beautiful SCARCE certificate from the Hoboken and Hudson River Turnpike Company
issued in 1858. This historic document was printed by the E. B. Clayton's Sons Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the New Jersey State Seal. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, and Secretary, and is over 151 years old.
The New York and Fort Lee Railroad Company was chartered by the State of New Jersey as the New York and Bull's Ferry Railroad Company on March 14, 1861, on the purchase of The Hoboken and Hudson River Turnpike Company, incorporated March 16, 1857. The name was changed to its present title by supplemental act of the Legislature of the State of New Jersey on March 8, 1862. The road was opened for traffic in 1870. A portion of this company's right of way and tracks, amounting to about .24 of a mile, was leased to the New Jersey Junction on June 30, 1886. The railroad and property, other than that which was leased to the New Jersey Junction Railroad Company, has disappeared in the construction of the West Shore Railroad terminals at Weehawken. The entire capital stock of the New York and Fort Lee Railroad Company was acquired by the New York Central and Hudson River in 1886.