Beautifully printed certificate from the Liverpool Overhead Railway Company
issued in the 1890s. This historic document has a vignette of the company's name and a train traveling on a bridge and is over 105 years old. This item has the hand signatures of the Company's Director and Secretary. The certificate was hand Cancelled and has minor folds.
The Liverpool Overhead Railway opened the 4th February 1893. The electrification of the line was carried out by the Electric Construction Co. (Limited). An elevated railway had been proposed as early as 1852, although work on the structure did not begin until 1889. The Line was formally opened with a one way trip from Sea forth to Dingle stretched for six and a half miles with eleven intermediate stations. It was closed down in 1956.