Beautifully engraved certificate from the Metropolitan Cross-Town Railway Company
issued in 1902. This historic document was printed by Henry Seibert & Brothers and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of the company's horse drawn railway car. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, B. Stone and Secretary, George M. Law and is over 114 years old.
The Metropolitan Crosstown Railway was chartered in 1889 and opened in 1891. the company was acquired in 1894 by the Metropolitan Street Railway. The has 7 miles of track and operated on Delancey Street in New York.
The first step in the consolidation of the street railway companies of Manhattan began in 1892, when the Houston West Street & Pavonia Ferry Railroad Co. began leasing various other street railway companies.
In 1893, the Metropolitan Street Railway was incorporated, and acquired the Houston West Street & Pavonia Ferry Railroad Co. and several other companies. And the Metropolitan Street Railway subsequently acquired or leased most of the other street railways in Manhattan. The Metropolitan Street Railway also assumed the leases which had been held by the Houston West Street & Pavonia Ferry Railroad Co. In the previous year, the Metropolitan Traction Co. of New York was incorporated as a holding company for the Metropolitan Street Railway. But that holding company was disolved in 1897.
In 1901, the Interurban Street Railway was incorporated, and in 1902 began leasing the Metropolitan Street Railway. In 1904, the Interurban Street Railway was renamed the New York City Railway. And in 1908, the Metropolitan Street Railway became independent again.
In 1911, New York Railways was incorporated to acquire the Metropolitan Street Railway