Medical Hall of Transylvania University Stock Certificate - Lexington, Kentucky 1827
(You save $100.00 )
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available in Checkout
Beautiful woodblock printed certificate from the Medical Hall of Transylvania University Certificate of Stock issued in 1827. This historic document has an ornate border around it with the company's name on top center. This item has the signatures of the Company's Chairman, Wilbur Morton and Secretary, William A. Leavy and is over 190 years old. The certificate was transferred on back to City of Lexington April 1,1845. Certificates states" No.22. Be it known that Stephens & Winslow are entitled to the sum of one hundred dollars of the capital stock of the Medical Hall of Transylvania University, transferable in such manner as the subscribers of said stock may hereafter order and direct. Witness the hands of the Chairman and Secretary of the Building Committee, the 26th day of November 1827 The Medical Hall of Transylvania University School of Medicine is located in the County of Fayette in Lexington, Kentucky. The Site of the world-renowned Medical Hall of Transylvania University was erected in 1839 and dedicated on November 2, 1840. There was a massive building of Grecian architecture with facilities not surpassed at that time by any school in America or Europe. Constructed on a lot purchased for $5,000, of which citizens of Lexington contributed $3,000. The magnificent structure built there was used by Transylvania University until Medical College disbanded in 1857. The building was destroyed by fire in 1863 while being used as military hospital by the Union Army. Over 6,400 of America's early physicians received training at Transylvania during its illustrious existence.