Beautiful certificate from the Michigan Copper Mining Company
issued in 1915. Lee Degood's Mining Book certificate code MICOMC-3 - Rarity R-5 (only 11 to 25 known). This historic document has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of miners working underground. This item has the signatures of the Company's Officers.
A HISTORY OF THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN AND ITS PEOPLE
By ALVAH L. SAWYER
THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY
The Michigan Copper Mining Company was organized January 5,
1899, with a capital of $2,500,000. Its location comprises 6,686 acres
and includes 4,870 acres of mineral territory, 1,466 of timber and mis-
cellaneous lands, and a 150-acre mill site. The main tract is three miles
east and west, by four and a half north and south, active operations be-
ing conducted at Rockland, northeast of the center of the county. In-
cluded in the Michigan location are these three old mines, the Minnesota,
Rockland and Superior.
It was in the Minnesota tract that the prehistoric pits were discov-
ered, noted in the general chapter on copper mining, and which led to
the opening of the modern mine in 1847. In one of the pits was a "6-ton
mass of copper raised on skids, on top of which grew a hemlock tree
having nearly 400 rings of annual growth. Immense masses of virgin copper were taken from the Minnesota, the largest (found in 1856), measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 18 feet 6 inches by 46 inches, weighing
527 short tons and requiring the work of 20 men for 15 months in cut-
ting it into pieces small enough for hoisting (See Copper Manitou).
From 1847 to its closing in 1870 the Minnesota produced 34,704,668
pounds of fine copper and paid $1,820,000 dividends. The Rockland, ly-
ing east of Minnesota, was operated in 1853-70, with an output of
6,210,309 pounds, and the Superior, about a mile east of the present
workings, made 567,331 pounds during the periods of its activity, 1856-
69 and 1876-9.
The present Michigan mine is a combination of two new mines and
a reopened old location, its shafts being sunk on a bed which outcrops a
few feet north of the North Minnesota fissure. A few miles to the north-
east are the Mass and Adventure mines. The Michigan mine has ten
miles of underground workings; employs about 450 men; is opened by
three shafts and produces from 1,900,000 to 2,900,000 pounds of copper-
annually. Its new stamp mill is about a mile north of the Mass plant
at Keweenaw Hay, water being secured through a 1, 200-foot tunnel. A
distinctive feature of the copper which is produced by the Michigan
mine is its high electrical conductivity, in which quality it surpasses all
other Lake Superior varieties.
History from Encyberpedia and
stock certificate research service)