Beautiful RARE stock certificate from the Orlando Country Club
issued in 1926. This historic document was printed by the Goes Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of Florida's state seal. This item has the signatures of the Company’s President, and Secretary, and is over 84 years old.
1911 - Orlando Country Club is one of the oldest and well established of the private golf and country clubs in Central Florida. Originally founded in 1911, the Orlando Country Club has undergone many renovations, additions, and redesigns. The community surrounding ...Orlando Country Club is one of the oldest and well established of the private golf and country clubs in Central Florida. Originally founded in 1911, the Orlando Country Club has undergone many renovations, additions, and redesigns. The community surrounding the Club consists of Old World charm with estate homes located on tree lined brick streets. The Club and community are conveniently located just minutes west of the downtown Orlando Business District.
The Country Club of Orlando was chartered in November 1911. At this time, the City of Orlando was eager to attract northern tourists, and the Club – which had already opened a nine-hole golf course, was seen as a tremendous asset to the city in this regard. The first clubhouse, a typical “old Florida” building with wide verandahs, was opened in May of 1912. The clubhouse quickly became a social center, not only for golf, but also for dances, card parties, and community entertainment of all kinds. When financial difficulties developed a few years after the Club’s founding, a vigorous, community-wide effort took place in order to raise funds for expansion of the golf course to eighteen holes, as well as other improvements to the Club facilities.
In 1926, just at the end of the Florida Land Boom, a new Mediterranean-style clubhouse was opened. Costing $65,000, the new facility was, indicated the Orlando Morning Sentinel, “one of the finest in the country.” By this time, the golf course was considered one of the best in the state; and in 1933, a stable was constructed where members could keep their horses.
History from Wikipedia.