Beautiful certificate from the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society - Horticultural Hall Stock
issued in 1867. This historic document was printed by 1867 and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of the Pennsylvania State Seal, a woman and flowers. This item is hand signed by the Society's President and Secretary and is over 138 years old.
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society was founded in 1827 when a group of gentleman farmers, botanists and other plant enthusiasts held a meeting to create the Society. There, it was resolved "to establish a Horticultural Society in the City of Philadelphia for the promotion of this interesting and highly influential branch of Science." At this time, the fledgling PHS boasted 53 members. Today, their membership is 14,000 strong.
The first Flower Show was in 1829 at the Masonic Hall on Chestnut Street, where the well-known Christmas favorite, the poinsettia, was introduced. Over the decades, the event has grown dramatically to become the nation's grandest Flower Show, attracting 275,000 visitors annually over an eight-day period.