Beautiful certificate from the Poplar Bluff Lumber Company
issued in 1895. This historic document has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of lumbrtjacks. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, Wm. H. Kinzer and Secretary and is over 114 years old.
POPLAR BLUFF LUMBER AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
Of this concern we know of no more expressive yet inelegant language to
utter our opinion than to designate it as a "big thing." The stockholders
of the Poplar Bluff Lumber and Manufacturing Co. are business men and
capitalists of Pennsylvania. The Company began operations in Poplar Bluff
by the purchase of a small saw mill must below the depot, which they
enlarged and refitted by the addition of new and convenient machinery and
In the summer of 1883, the Company purchased 16 acres of
land in the southern portion of the city for which they paid the sum of
$1,5oo in cash. Upon this ground they at once erected a number of
two-story frame buildings for the use of their employees, and in October
last W. H. H. Kinzer, President, and E. E. Kinzer, Secretary, arrived here
for the purpose of superintending the building of a new and gigantic
The Railroad Company has extended a switch to this factory and
the carpenters are now pushing to completion a large two-story mill 30x100
feet. They have purchased a 40-horse power engine, with boiler and saw
mill of the newest and most approved pattern and will have a daily capacity
of sawing 20,000 feet of lumber from a lath to a girder 50 feet long. In
this establishment will also be found a shingle machine with a capacity of
40,000 shingles daily, planers, edgers, swing and band saws, and all
machinery to utilize lumber of all varieties into all marketable and
merchantable shapes. When completed this mill will be one of the greatest
importance, and will afford employment to at least on hundred hands.
officers of the company are Wm. H. Kinzer, President; E.E. Kinzer,
Secretary; Amos Early, Treasurer, and T. C. Gifford, Superintendent. The
Company is composed of men who are financially fully able to carry out
their plans, and are happy in the possession of enterprise and energy.
Oak, poplar, ash, cypress, walnut, pine, gum and cherry will find use in
this establishment in the manufacture of lumber of all kinds, flooring,
lath, shingles, and any other article of wooden manufacture which is needed.
The Company has purchased the "Bull of the Woods," a small steamer, which
they have refitted and will use on the waters of Black river in carrying
logs, lumber and merchandise to and from all points on that stream. With
the exception of Mr. T. C. Gifford, the superintendent, who is a citizen of
Poplar Bluff, and by the way a most excellent gentleman, and a thorough
lumberman, the members of the company are from the state of Pennsylvania,
but having visited a growing town, and being impressed with the many
advantages it offers to the manufacturer of lumber, they wisely concluded
to invest their money in the place and they do not regret it, for the
combination of money, enterprise and energy in Poplar Bluff will never fail.
History from Butler county Missouri,"A View of A Growing Town"