Beautifully engraved Certificate from the Telepost Company issued in 1908 - 1912. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a woman holding an electric light and lightning bolts, with a train passing by. This item is hand signed and is over 88 years old. This company was incorporated in the state of Maine on March 1,1907.
The company was an independent telegraph company using the rapid system of telegraphy invented by Patrick B. Delaney. The company operated between Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville and other cities in the west. Rates were $.25 for 25 works and $.05 for each additional 10 words when the message was delivered by messenger, and 50 words for $.25 when the message was sent by wire and delivered to the post office in a sealed envelop. That's how they came up with the name "Telepost"....Telegraph and Post Office.