Beautifully engraved certificate from the Tri-County Exhibitors' Association issued
in 1932. This historic document has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an eagle perched upon a rock with its wings spread with the ocean and city in the background. This item is hand signed by the company’s president (H E. Timm ) and secretary (Robert Greiser ) and is
over 69 years old.
In 1926, sponsored by the Association of Commerce, a group of Wishek business
men and a group of leading farmers of the area, realizing the need for better
breeds of livestock and better strains of grain organized the Tri-County
Exhibitor's Association. It was also an effort to bring closer cooperation
between the farmers of our area and the people of Wishek. H E. Timm served as
its president for many years and Robert Greiser was its secretary. The first
Fair was held in September, 1927, with tents being used to house the exhibits.
Increased interest by town and country folk alike assured the directors of the
Fair's success. In 1933 an 80-acre fair grounds was purchased from the State
Land Department located on the hill one mile west of Wishek. Three permanent
fair buildings were then constructed. Successful fairs were held annually and
without interruption from 1927 until 1941. Fair showings were discontinued
during the critical war years of 1942 to 1946, inclusive, but 1947 saw the
return of the fair as an annual fall festival in the community.
In 1948, the following was written about H. E. Timm and his family:
Henry Elmer Timm has been a resident of Wishek for the past forty-one years and
a statement of his connections and associations with business and civic affairs
in Wishek and in McIntosh County during those years indicates that he has been
one of the substantial men in the community, being a type of man who is never
lacking in some useful connection and relationship with his community.
Mr. Timm was born in Franklin County, Iowa, October 22, 1885, the son of Albert
C. and Mary (Nicklas) Timm. His father was a native of Wisconsin and his mother
a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Timm was educated in the public schools of Ackley,
Iowa, graduating from high school in 1905 and for two years attended Cornell
College at Mt. Vernon, Iowa. He came to Wishek as principal of its schools for
the year 1907-1908. In 1908 he became bookkeeper for the firm of Herr Brothers
& Company, later homesteaded near Green Lake in McIntosh County, and in 1911
entered the employ of the First State Bank of Wishek.
He served as Assistant Cashier of said bank until 1919 when he was elected
Cashier, which position he held until 1935. He was also Secretary-Treasurer of
the Bankers Loan Company of Wishek and conducted a real estate and insurance
business in connection with the bank. Since quitting bank work, he has engaged
in the real estate and insurance business.
Mr. Timm was an official of the Village of Wishek continuously for eighteen
years, from 1912 till 1930, and when, in 1930, the Village was incorporated as a
City, he was elected as its first Mayor. In 1913 he assisted in the
organization of the Wishek Volunteer Fire Department and served as its first
Chief. He was also one of the organizers of the Wishek Association of Commerce
and served as a Director for ten years. He was also interested in the
organization of the Tri County Fair Association and served for years as its
Mr. Timm is a Republican and in 1930 was elected state representative from the
Thirty-sixth Legislative District, serving in the 1931 Session of the North
Dakota Legislature. He is also prominent in the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows of North Dakota, is a Past Grand Master and Past Grand Secretary of
that Order, and is serving his twenty-fifth year as a state trustee of the Odd
Fellows Home at Devils Lake. He also holds membership in Linton Lodge No. 98,
A. F. & A. M., and is an elder in the Presbyterian Church.
Mrs. H. E. Timm, whose maiden name was Carolyn Gruye, was the daughter of
Philip and Bertha Gruye. She was born in New Ulm, Minnesota, on November 20,
1886. She grew to womanhood in Winthrop, Minnesota, attended the public schools
and graduated from Winthrop High School in 1903, then attended the State Normal
at Mankato, Minnesota. After five years of teaching in Minnesota schools, she
came to Wishek in 1909 and taught the intermediate grades in the Wishek schools
for two years.
Mr. and Mrs. Timm were married at Winthrop, Minn., on December 28, 1910. They
had two sons, Ralph Elmer, born October 28, 1911, who died in infancy, and
Elbert Clifford, born April 11, 1917, who is now an oil geologist with
Socony-Vacuum Oil Company in Louisiana. Mrs. Timm passed away on July 28, 1947.
Mr. Timm still makes his home in Wishek.
During her thirty-eight years of residence in Wishek, Mrs. Timm was active in
civic, fraternal and church organizations. She held membership in the Civic
League, the Legion Auxiliary and showed a deep interest in activities of the
Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts and the Brownie Scouts. She was a member of the
Presbyterian Church and active in its Ladies Aid. She was a charter member of
Golden Rod Rebekah Lodge #90 when it was instituted in 1914 and served as the
first Noble Grand of said Lodge. She also held membership in the Order of
Eastern Star at Linton. No. Dak.
This historical was obtaind from the Wishek ND, Golden Jubilee, 1898-1948 Published by the Odessa Digital Library - 22 Jul 1995
We will always maintain our founding commitment to customer satisfaction and the delivery of an educational product with an enjoyable shopping experience. Please
let us know how we may be of service to you. We ain’t afraid of no virus, business as usual.
All Old Stock and Bond
Certificates are actual authentic certificates and are sold only as collectibles.
We do not sell reproductions and offer a lifetime guarantee to the
authenticity of everything we sell.