Beautifully engraved certificate from Wagner Electric Manufacturing Company
issued in 1894 or earlier. This historic document was printed by the Fray Stationary Company of St. Louis and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an arm holding lightning in the clouds and the company's name. This item has the signatures of the Company’s President, S.M. Dodd and Secretary, Sherman B. Pike and is over 111 years old. The certificate was issued to the company's co-founder, Herbert A. Wagner and is signed by him on the ledger page on the front and on the back of the certificate.
Wagner Electric Corporation was an electric equipment manufacturing firm established in 1891 by H.A. Wagner (Herbert Appleton Wagner) and Ferdinand Schwedtmann (aka Francis Charles Schwedtman). The company manufactured Electric Engines, Electric Motors and Electric Starters for early automobiles. They also made electric lights and many other electric related products. In 1909, Wagner Electric started manufacturing their first automotive headlamp bulbs. Today, under the Wagner Lighting name, some of their brands include BriteLite, HalogenGold and LazerBlue.
Below is an ad from the Wagner Electric Manufacturing Company showing the Stature of Liberty:
Ad from the Wagner Electric Manufacturing Co., St. Louis.
Ad, Wagner Electric Manufacturing Co., St. Louis. "In the Service of Liberty." The Statue of Liberty is flooded with light from below. "With the coming of peace the Wagner Company lays aside its war garb with a feeling of exultation but with a deep sense of pride in the part which Wagner Utility played in the winning of the war. Its most notable participation was the depth charge, the Wagner Company being the only American manufacturer to supply the U.S. Navy with depth bombs which were used in sinking Hun submarines...Wagner, Quality products again become available in greater quantities than ever, due to increased facilities brought about by war preparations..."