Beautifully engraved certificate from the Barker Bros. Incorporated
issued in 1924. This historic document was printed by W. P. Jeffries Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of an eagle perched on a rock surveying the area below. This item is hand signed by the Company's President and Secretary and is over 82 years old. The certificate was issued to Lawrence Barker and is signed by him on the verso.
Lawrence Barker's Signature on Verso
Old Barker Bros. Picture Shown for Illustrative Purposes
Barker Brothers' fine furnishings was a Los Angeles upscale furniture chain that closed in 1992 after operating for more than 110 years. History from 1924: Incorporated under the laws of Delaware, Dec. 28, 1923, as successor to company of like name incorporated under the laws of California in 1890. Business founded in 1880. Company is essentially a retail selling organization, supplying an extensive line of articles for the equipment and maintenance of homes, hotels, public buildings and offices. It has established several manufacturing units which supply some of the commodities sold and in addition it controls and distributes products of certain manufacturers of furniture and home furnishings. Real estate and warehouse property are owned. The sales departments and show rooms are in the main store, 716 to 738 South Broadway, Los Angeles, which is held under lease expiring in 1933. Management: OFFICERS: C. H. Barker, Chairman; H. S. McKee, Pres.; C. A. Barker, E. P. Barker, C. Lawrence Barker, F. A. Barnes, Vice-Pres.; E. L. Rogers, Sec.; R. C. Hitchins, Treas., Los Angeles, Cal. DIRECTORS: C. H. Barker, H. S. McKee, C. A. Barker, E. P. Barker, C. Lawrence Barker, F. K. Colby, Elvon Musick, Los Angeles, Cal.; Joseph F. Rhodes, H. E. Benedict, New York, N. Y. ANNUAL MEETING: Second Monday in March. GENERAL OFFICE: 716-738 So. Broadway, Los Angeles, California. Histoy from OldCompany.com