One Share. Fully issued with a embossed seal and Mint Condition!
Maintained by Centre Turnpike Road Authority
Length: 75 mi (121 km)
Existed: 1808 – 1855
South end: Penn Street in Reading Danville Turnpike
North end: Market Street in Sunbury
Counties: Berks, Schuylkill, Northumberland
Pennsylvania State Route System
Interstate US State Scenic Byways Legislative
Centre Turnpike, also known as the Reading-Sunbury Road, was an early United States turnpike located in Pennsylvania. It followed the path of the King's Highway, which had been surveyed in 1770 by Francis Yarnall. Running from Reading to Sunbury, it was 75 miles (121 km) long. and was started in 1808 and completed around 1814 at a cost of US$208,000. The final toll was collected near Bear Gap in Ralpho Township in 1855. The general path of the original turnpike is now covered partly by Pennsylvania Route 61 and Pennsylvania Route 54. It was maintained and controlled by the Centre Turnpike Road Company, which was formed on March 25, 1805.
The turnpike collected an average of $6572.67 in tolls per year in the first eleven years of operation. In 1822, the rate of tolls (per mile) were:
Wagons with narrow wheels and four horses, 3 1⁄5 cents;
Wagons with wide wheels 4–4 1⁄2 inches (10–11 cm), 1 3⁄5 cents;
Wagons with wide wheels greater than 4 1⁄2 inches (11 cm), free;
Pleasure carriages, with two horses, 2 3⁄5 cents ;
Horse and rider, 3⁄5 cents.
History from Wikipedia and
stock certificate research service)