Beautifully engraved certificate from the Consolidated Edison of New York. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of vignette of a the Consolidated Edison Company Building with a clock and bright light on top and allegorical figures on both sides with a bridge and New York City in the Background. There is also an underprint of a man holding a lantern. This item has the printed signature of the Company's President and the hand signature of the Asst. Secretary.
The 'old building' shown on the certificate is aptly named Consolidated Edison Company Building/originally Consolidated Gas Company Building, 4 Irving Place, NE corner. E. 14th St., New York City, built 1915. (Henry J. Hardenbergh)-the Tower added 1926 (Warren & Wetmore). A landmark Clock tops this very important and loved New York building, which stands on the site of the original Academy of Music. (This information is from the AIA Guide To New York City.) Con Ed was obviously proud of their landmark building and used its image well.