Beautifully engraved certificate from the Diamond State Steel Company issued in 1904. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a steel mill. This item is hand signed by the Company's President ( Howard T. Wallace ) and Treasurer ( W. E. Boughton ) and is over 101 years old. This is the first time we have had this certificate for sale.
The company was organized in 1901 for the purpose of manufacturing, buying and selling steel, iron and other material. They purchased the plant and property from the Diamond State Iron Company. The property included 56 acres in Wilmington, Delaware which included 5 open hearth furnaces of fifty ton capacity along with steel buildings, mills, terminal railraods, etc. John B. Newkirk, purchased the company's assets in 1907.