Beautifully engraved certificate from the Edgewater Steel Company
issued prior to 1926. This historic document was printed by the Republic Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an eagle. This item is hand signed by the Company’s President ( F.B. Bell ) and Secretary ( John Henderson ) and is over 86 years old.
Edgewater Steel was located in Oakmont, Pa located on a 35-acre tract along the Allegheny River. The company produced locomotive, transit, passenger and freight wheels and also seamless rolled rings, ring springs, crane wheels, gear blanks, and hammer forgings. The company provided complete design, testing, forging, heat treating and machining capabilities utilizing CAD, forging in presses from 500 to 5,000 tons; open die hammers for specific metals and alloys; rolling mills in various job matched sized; heat-treating, quenching, annealing and normalizing; and full product testing using magnaflux, magparticle and ultrasonic devices.
Edgewater Steel closed its doors in October 2001. The company laid off 170 workers in August 2001 after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Aug. 6.
It was the third time the company had declared bankruptcy since 1992.