Beautiful RARE uncancelled certificate from the Elmira Municipal Improvement Company issued in 1894. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the New Jersey State Seal. This item has the signatures of the Company's President and Secretary, and is over 116 years old. The certificate was issued to General John B. Woodward and is endorsed by him on the back.
The Elmira Municipal Improvement Company owned Elmira Water Works Co., Elmira & Horseheads Railroad Co., Elmira Gas & Illuminating Co., Interstate Fair Association, Elmira Illuminating Co., Elmira Heights Water Co., West Water Street Railroad Co., West Side Railroad Co., and the Maple Avenue Railroad Co.. The assets of the company were later sold to the Elmira Water, Light & Railroad Co. in 1900. General John Blackburne Woodward, lived in Brooklyn, New York. Woodward was a notable businessman, military officer, and philanthropist: he ran a successful trading business; completed his military career as Adjutant General; and served on the boards of many prominent organizations, including the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences and the Parks Department. Elijah R. Kennedy attributes the revitalization of both the Brooklyn Institute and Prospect Park to Woodward's dedicated work. In 1885, Woodward made an unsuccessful bid for Mayor of Brooklyn. History from OldCompany.com (old stock certificate research service) and the Brooklyn Museum.