Beautifully engraved check from the Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Georgetown, D.C. issued in 1858-1861. This historic document is over 141 years old. The Farmers & Mcechanics Branch of Riggs dates back to 1814 when it was founded by a group of prominent Georgetown businessmen, among whose directors were George C. Washington (nephew of George Washington) and Romulus Riggs (uncle of George W. Riggs partner of Corcoran & Riggs, the predecessors of Riggs National Bank) The bank was nationalized as the Farmers & Mechanics National Bank of Georgetown fifty-eight years later, in 1872. The bank conducted its business at 31st and M Streets, N.W., until 1922, when it moved to its present location. In 1927, it opened a branch at Wisconsin Avenue and Warren St., N.W., which since has become Riggs' Friendship Branch. The bank merged with Riggs in December, 1928.