Beautifully engraved certificate from the Fifth Avenue Coach Company
issued in 1936. This historic document was printed by the Franklin Lee Division - American Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of Fifth Avenue double-decker coach bus. This item has the printed signatures of the Company’s President, and Treasurer, Edmund C. Collins, and is over 75 years old.
The Fifth Avenue Coach Company was a bus operator in Manhattan, The Bronx, and Westchester County, New York, providing public transit between 1896 and 1954 after which services were taken over by the New York City Omnibus Corporation. It succeeded the Fifth Avenue Transportation Company.
A single-deck Fifth Avenue Coach bus operated in the late 1950s, running here in special holiday service in November 2009.The company was founded in 1896 when it succeeded the bankrupt Fifth Avenue Transportation Company.
It initially operation of exising horse-and-omnibus transit along Fifth Avenue, with a route running from 89th Street to Bleecker Street using horse-drawn omnibuses. Fifth Avenue is the only avenue in Manhattan to never see streetcar service due to the opposition of residents to the installation of railway track for streetcars. The company introduced electric buses two years later are were acquired by the newly formed New York Transportation Company a year after 1899.
They introduced a fleet of 15 of their own motorbuses in 1907 that operated along Fifth Avenue and on some crosstown routes. The company became independent of the New York Transportation Company in 1912.
In 1925, the year that they came under control of The Omnibus Corporation, the company purchased a majority share in the New York Railways Corporation.
When the New York Railways Corporation started converting streetcar lines to buses in 1935–36, the new replacement bus services were operated by the New York City Omnibus Corporation, which had been formed in 1926 and had shared management with The Omnibus Corporation. New York Railways Corporation was dissolved in 1936.
In 1954 The Omnibus Corporation sold the Fifth Avenue Coach Company to the New York City Omnibus Corporation which changed its name to 'Fifth Avenue Coach Lines' two years later. After a strike in 1962, and a fight for control with fanancier Harry Weinberg, bus operations were taken over by the city.
History from Wikipedia and
stock certificate research service)