Beautifully engraved certificate from the Frankford & Southhawk Philadelphia City Passenger Railroad Company
in 1893-1899. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with vignettes of a horse drawn street car being pulled through downtown and an allegorical woman, a soldier, and an angel sitting by the water. This item is hand signed by the company’s president and treasurer and is
over 101 years old. This certificate has period cancellations and the president's signature has been clipped as shown in the scan. Horse drawn street car vignettes are highly desirable.
In May, 1857, the Philadelphia and Delaware River Railroad was chartered, giving the right to build a road from Philadelphia to Frankford, upon which cars drawn by horses could be used. Horse cars were in use from January 8, 1858, to November 17, 1863, when the Frankford and Southwark Passenger Railway introduced "dummies" which ran from the depot, Fourth and Berks Streets, to Frankford. The first was called the Alpha, and the second the Sea Gull.
As other cars were added, the were called No. 1, 2, etc. The engine was on one side, and the boiler, an upright one, was on the other side, with the engineer sitting between them, not a choice seat in midsummer. These "dummies" with trailer attached seated 64 passengers. The trailers (old horse cars) had additional seats on the roof. A spiral ladder made of light iron was hooked on the rear of the car.
On April 1 1892 the Frankford and Southwark (Fifth and Sixth) Passenger Railway Company took possession of the Tenth and Eleventh (Citizens Line) Passenger Railway Company.