Beautifully engraved certificate from the Granite Bank of Monrovia issued in 1894. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a bank from the 1880's with horse drawn carriages in the street in front of the bank. This item is hand signed by the Company's President ( Calvin W. Brown ) and Secretary ( Herbert Brown ) and is over 110 years old.
In 1905 Carnegie funds became available and with the help of the Board of Trade (forerunner to the Chamber of Commerce), and the Monrovia Women's Club, a bond issue was passed to purchase the Granite Bank Building to be used as a City Hall. The Granite Building served as the city hall, fire and police department facilities in 1961 and the fire department in 1974.