Beautiful unissued stock certificate from the Lawrenceburgh & Indianapolis Rail-Road Company
printed in the late 1830's. This historic document has an
ornate border around it with a fantastic vignette of steam powered train pulling a double decker carriage with passengers. Please note the light age stain in the center of the document. This highly desirable item is one of the earliest train company certificates around and is over 175 years old.
The Lawrenceburg & Indianapolis Railroad Company was incorporated in 1832. The line became the Lawrenceburg & Upper Mississippi Railroad in 1850 and later became the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, & Lafayette Railroad on December 1, 1853. The company and was reorganized and purchased as the Indianapolis, Cincinnati & Lafayette Railroad in 1873.
In 1880 , the line was merged to become Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, & Chicago Railroad, and was merged again in June of 1889 to become the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad.
On February 1, 1930, the line was leased to the New York Central Railroad, which was merged with Pennsylvania Railroad on February 1, 1968.