Old check from the London Joint Stock Bank Limited issued in 1898. This historic document has ornate writing and a vignette on the left side of company information. This item has been hand signed, and is over 115 years old. Tax stamp attached to face of check.
The London Joint Stock Bank was established in 1836. The first branch was opened in Coleman Street in the City of London but in 1837 the Bank moved to Princess Street. In 1917 the London Joint Stock Bank became a part of the Midland Bank. This merger created the largest bank in the country, known as HSBC.